Investigators who showed up at his SoHo apartment on Friday - the same day he was scheduled to perform in Las Vegas - found a crack pipe and unspecified prescription pills near his body, leading them to speculate that DJ AM, 36, whose real name was Adam Goldstein, had accidentally overdosed. Mr. Goldstein had struggled with alcohol and drug addiction as a young adult, but said he had been sober for about 11 years.
The preliminary findings, disclosed on Wednesday, raised the possibility that Mr. Goldstein's death was not an accident. The city official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the investigation, said there were six unspecified pills in his stomach, suggesting they were ingested in a short period. Another pill that appeared to be the painkiller OxyContin, because it had the letters "OC" on it, was found in his throat, the official said.
A spokeswoman for the medical examiner's office was not immediately available for comment on Wednesday night. The final autopsy and toxicology report was pending. It was still unclear whether the prescription pills had been obtained legally. Mr. Goldstein survived a plane crash nearly a year ago but suffered severe injuries.
At the time of his death, he was working on a reality show for MTV in which he and families staged interventions for drug abusers. In an interview about the show, he talked about the agony of holding a crack pipe again for the first time in years.
"I realized," he said, "after I was holding it that my palms were sweaty and I was like, 'Wait a minute, this is not smart for me to be holding this.' "